(732) 888-4400

Call for a Free Consultation

Airport Plaza 1390 State Route 36, Suite 101 Hazlet, NJ 07730

NJ Driving Infractions Lawyer Serving Monmouth, Ocean & Middlesex

Driving Infractions in New Jersey

If you violate New Jersey traffic laws, you could be facing:

  • Fines
  • Points on your driving record
  • Suspension of your driving privileges
  • Revocation of your driver's license
  • Increased insurance rates
  • Jail time

Types of Moving Violations in New Jersey

There's a long list of moving violations you could be charged with in New Jersey. These include:

Points for Moving Violations

When you commit a moving violation in New Jersey, you'll be assessed points on your driving record. The number of points depends on the seriousness of the offense.

For example, you will receive two points for:

  • Operating a motorized bicycle on a restricted highway
  • Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
  • Failure to stop your vehicle before crossing a sidewalk (for example, when you're leaving a parking lot)
  • Driving on public or private property to avoid a traffic sign or signal
  • Failure to obey the direction of a police officer
  • Careless driving

You can be assessed five points for more serious offenses like:

  • Racing on highway
  • Failure to pass to the right of a vehicle proceeding in opposite direction
  • Tailgating
  • Exceeding the maximum speed, 30 miles per hour or more over the limit
  • Reckless driving
  • Improper passing of a school bus

If you leave the scene of an accident at which there has been a personal injury, you'll be assessed eight points.

If you receive six or more points within three years, you will be assessed a surcharge.

If you receive 12 or more points, your license will be suspended.

You can earn point deductions by avoiding violations in the future and/or by taking a remedial driver's education course approved by the MVC.


Surcharges are fines assessed by the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System (NJSVS) based on the number of points you accumulate. These surcharges are in addition to any fines you may be required to pay.

If you have six or more points within a three year period from your last violation, you'll be required to pay a surcharge of $150, plus $25 for each additional point over six.

You can also be assessed surcharges for:

  • Being an unlicensed driver or driving on an expired license
  • Driving with a suspended license
  • Operating an uninsured vehicle
  • Driving while intoxicated
  • Refusing to take a breath test

Beating Driving Infractions Charges in Court

You don't have to passively accept a traffic ticket. You can request a hearing and try to beat the ticket, or at least have the charges reduced.

At the hearing, you or your lawyer can try to have your charges dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense.

Our firm can advise you on your rights and help you with the hearing and appeal process.

Get the individual attention your case deserves

The Law Offices of Marc B. Schram, P.C. serve Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex county businesses and individuals. For experienced representation, call (732) 888-4400 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Navigate to:

Contact Us for a Free and Confidential Initial Consultation

If you have questions about financial compensation for an injury sustained in an accident or during a medical procedure, schedule a free consultation with our attorney.