Airport Plaza
1390 State Route 36
Suite 101
Hazlet, NJ 07730


Call For A Free Consultation

Personal Attention for Your Personal Case

Few legal issues have such rippling effects as family law and criminal defense cases. These matters can easily impact your present and your future. The Law Offices of Marc B. Schram, P.C. of New Jersey has the ability to handle these and other cases effectively and with understanding. Serving Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex counties, our law firm helps individuals in family, criminal and real estate matters as well as businesses in litigation, real estate and collections matters.

For experienced legal service, contact our law firm today.

  • Family Law & Divorce
  • Municipal Court Offenses
  • Real Estate
  • Business Litigation

New Jersey License Suspensions

If your license has been suspended in New Jersey that means it's not legal for you to drive in the state. Other states will also require you to have some sort of valid license.

Losing your license can have a huge impact on your life. It can even make you lose your job.

Reasons for License Suspensions

The reasons your driver's license can be suspended include the following:

  • You have 12 or more points on your driving record
  • You failed to appear in court or pay fines you owe
  • You failed to pay surcharges based on points
  • You drove with a suspended license
  • You failed to provide proof of insurance when this was requested by a police officer
  • You're physically or mentally disqualified from driving
  • You used drugs or alcohol while driving
  • You engaged in reckless driving
  • You abandoned your vehicle on a public highway
  • You were the at-fault driver in a fatal accident
  • You failed to pay child support
  • You committed certain non-driving criminal offenses
  • You were convicted of being a minor in possession of alcohol

Understanding the Point System

When you're ticketed for speeding or other traffic offenses, points are added to your Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) record.

For example, you'll get:

  • Two points for being 1-14 miles over the speed limit
  • Five points for racing on a highway
  • Three points for an improper right or left turn
  • Five points for reckless driving
  • Eight points for leaving the scene of an accident when there's been a personal injury

As these points add up, you'll face losing your license.

Understanding Point Violation Notices

If you have from six to 11 points on your license, you'll receive an Advisory Notice warning you that you risk losing your license. If you have 12 or more points, the MVC will send you an automatic Notice of Scheduled Suspension.

Surrendering Your License

If you didn't surrender your license to the judge at your traffic hearing, you must surrender it to the MVC. You can do this in person during walk-in hours, or you can mail it to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Driver Management Bureau
P.O. Box 134
Trenton, New Jersey 08650

What happens if you drive with a suspended license?

You can get in serious trouble if you drive while your license is suspended. You could face up to five years in prison for this offense.

How long does a suspension last?

The length of a suspension depends on how many violations you have and how long it's been since your last suspension. The suspension periods range from 45 days to 180 days.

Restoring Your Driving Privileges

Once you've completed your suspension period, you'll receive a Notice of Restoration in the mail.

You'll need to go through the same steps required for a regular license renewal.

In addition, you'll need to pay a Restoration Fee of $100 in order to get your license back.

You can pay this fee online with a credit card. You can also pay in person at a Regional Service Center or an MVC Agency with walk-in service. You can mail a check or money order to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 140
Trenton, NJ 08650-0140

You may not drive until you restore your license and receive a written notice that your driving privileges have been restored. Don't assume that you can drive as soon as you pay the Restoration Fee!

Beating a License Suspension in Court

You don't have to passively accept a notice that your license is about to be suspended. You or your attorney can send a letter to the Division of Motor Vehicles stating that you don't accept the suspension and you want a hearing.

At the hearing, you can seek to have your suspension cancelled or at least have the period of time reduced.

If you're not happy with the result of the hearing, you can appeal it and request a hearing before an administrative law judge.

Even after your license has been suspended, you may be able to get your driving privileges restored.

Our firm can help you with this process.

Get the individual attention your case deserves

The Law Offices of Marc B. Schram, P.C. serve Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex county businesses and individuals. For experienced representation, call 732.888.4400 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.