(732) 888-4400

Call for a Free Consultation

Airport Plaza 1390 State Route 36, Suite 101 Hazlet, NJ 07730

Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex County Traffic Violations Lawyer

New Jersey Traffic Violations Defense

Getting a traffic ticket can really ruin your day - especially if you feel you didn't deserve it.

In addition to paying fines, you may also get points on your record and have increased insurance costs.

An experienced New Jersey lawyer can advise you on your rights and options and may be able to help you beat the ticket in court.

Understanding Fines for Traffic Violations

New Jersey has a long list of fines for traffic violations. Following are some examples:

  • Driving or parking an unregistered vehicle: $47
  • Improper lighting equipment: $47
  • Leaving vehicle with engine running: $47
  • Throwing litter from vehicle: $226
  • Failure to overtake and pass properly; crossing "no passing" lines: $81
  • Failure to obey stop sign or yield right-of way signs: $81

For some of these offenses, fines are doubled in a Safe Corridor, Construction Zone, or 65 mile-per-hour area.

Understanding the Point System

When you're ticketed for traffic offenses, points are added to your Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) record.

For example, you'll get:

  • Two points for moving against traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, or Atlantic City Expressway
  • Three points for an improper right or left turn
  • Four points for improper passing on right or off roadway
  • Five points for reckless driving
  • Eight points for leaving the scene of an accident when there's been a personal injury

Insurance companies consider these points when setting your insurance rates. The more points you have, the higher your insurance rates will likely be.

If you have more than eight points, you won't be able to buy "regular" auto insurance. You'll have to buy special "assigned risk" insurance, which is much more expensive.

Understanding MVS Surcharges

If you accumulate points on your license, you'll have to pay "point surcharges" to the MVC - over and above any fines and penalties that the court imposes.

These surcharges will last as long as you have six or more points on your record due to moving violations over the past three years.

If you fail to pay these surcharges, the MVC will suspend your driving rights. The MVC may also get a lien against your home or other real estate, garnish your wages, or take other steps to collect what you owe.

Understanding Point Violation Notices

If you have from six to 11 points on your license, you'll get an Advisory Notice the MVC warning you that you risk of losing your license. If you have 12 or more points, you'll get an automatic Notice of Scheduled Suspension.

Out-of-State Drivers

If you're not a New Jersey resident, your New Jersey traffic ticket may or not may not be reported to the state where you live.

If you're a New Jersey resident and you get a ticket outside the state, New Jersey will count it against you. All out-of-state moving violations (regardless of the nature of the offense) count as two points in New Jersey.

Understanding Your Options

When you get a traffic ticket, you can do one of two things:

  • Pay the ticket, or
  • Contest the ticket during a Traffic Court hearing

If you pay the ticket, then you'll get points on your driving record. You may then need to pay higher auto insurance rates.

If you contest the ticket, you have the chance of avoiding fines and points.

Beating a Traffic Ticket in Court

If you decide to contest the ticket, you'll need to present some evidence and/or arguments that you didn't commit the traffic offense you were ticketed for, or that you shouldn't be held responsible. Your lawyer can help you prepare your case and represent you in court.

Get the Individual Attention You Deserve

The Law Offices of Marc B. Schram, P.C. serve Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex county businesses and individuals. For experienced representation, call (732) 888-4400 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Navigate to:

Contact Us for a Free and Confidential Initial Consultation

If you have questions about financial compensation for an injury sustained in an accident or during a medical procedure, schedule a free consultation with our attorney.